Visa & Immigration

Hong Kong has business friendly immigration policies. As such, visitors from over 170 countries/territories can enjoy visa-free entries to Hong Kong and stay for between seven to 180 days.

Working Visa Requirements
Short-term visitors can make the most of Hong Kong’s light-touch visa policies and are permitted to conduct business negotiations and sign contracts while on a visitor’s visa or entry permit. Foreign nationals working in Hong Kong for longer periods of time require a visa before they can live or work in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong Visa Types
General Employment Policy (GEP)
To employ overseas staff, you must demonstrate that a prospective employee possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong may apply to come to work under the GEP. The GEP is quota-free and non-sector specific.

Investment as Entrepreneurs
The applicant should be in a position to make substantial contribution to the economy of the HKSAR, with consideration factors or startup businesses. Their startup business may be considered favourably if it is supported by a government-backed programme with a rigorous vetting and selection process. 

Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP)
Chinese residents of the Mainland China who possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong may apply to come to work under the ASMTP. The ASMTP is quota-free and non-sector specific.

Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS)
TechTAS provides a fast-track arrangement for eligible companies to admit non-local technology talent to undertake research and development (R&D) work for them in Hong Kong. Eligible companies would first have to apply for a quota. A company allotted with a quota by the Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) can accordingly sponsor an eligible person to apply for an employment visa/entry permit within the 12-month quota validity period. It also has to fulfil the requirement to employ new local employees in technology-related work. 

People who successfully apply for a visa can bring their spouse and dependent children under the age of 18, provided they have sufficient funds and suitable accommodation. The limit on their stay is the same as the visa holder – who is officially the ‘sponsor’. A spouse holding a Dependant visa can undertake any type of lawful employment in Hong Kong.

Other Admission Schemes for Talent, Professionals and Entrepreneurs, please visit here.

Contact Us
Leave your details and we'll be in touch.

The personal information you have provided will help us deliver, develop and promote our services. By submitting your details, ticking the boxes and clicking "Submit" indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Please read these to understand your data rights.