Change Language

Visa & Immigration

Hong Kong has business friendly immigration policies. As such, visitors from over 170 countries/territories can enjoy visa-free entries to Hong Kong and stay for between seven to 180 days.

Working Visa Requirements
Short-term visitors can make the most of Hong Kong’s light-touch visa policies and are permitted to conduct business negotiations and sign contracts while on a visitor’s visa or entry permit. Foreign nationals working in Hong Kong for longer periods of time require a visa before they can live or work in Hong Kong. 

Hong Kong Visa Types
Employment Visa
To employ overseas staff, you must demonstrate that a prospective employee has special skills, knowledge or experience not readily available in Hong Kong. The proposed employee must be sponsored by an employer in Hong Kong.

Investment Visa
This requires you to be a shareholder of a Hong Kong registered company. You can do this by:

  • Registering and setting up a company in which you are the major investor, or
  • Investing in a Hong Kong-based company.

You will also need to provide details of the viability of your proposed business – or your financial position if you are investing in an existing company.

Entrepreneur Visa
The applicant should be the proprietor or partner of the startup company or a key researcher of the relevant project. Their startup business should be supported by a government-backed programme with a rigorous vetting and selection process. For example:

  • Incu-App, Incu-Bio and Incu-Tech programmes administered by the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation;
  • Cyberport Incubation Programme;
  • Enterprise Support Scheme administered by the Innovation and Technology Commission; and
  • Design Incubation Programme administered by the Hong Kong Design Centre.

People who successfully apply for a visa can bring their spouse and dependent children under the age of 18, provided they have sufficient funds and suitable accommodation. The limit on their stay is the same as the visa holder – who is officially the ‘sponsor’. A spouse holding a Dependant visa can undertake any type of lawful employment in Hong Kong. 

Other Details
Enhancement measures have been applied to the General Employment Policy (for both employment and investment), the
Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals, and the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme.

The Immigration Department has also introduced a pilot scheme for the admission of the second generation of Chinese Hong Kong permanent residents who have emigrated overseas.  For more details, please refer here.

The Government of Hong Kong SAR announced in May 2018 to launch the Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS). To learn more about TechTAS, please visit here.  

Stay Up-to-Date
Leave your details and we'll be in touch.

some error

some error

The personal information you have provided will help us deliver, develop and promote our services. By submitting your details, ticking the boxes and clicking "Submit" indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Please read these to understand your data rights.

Contact General Enquiries
25/F Fairmont House, 8 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, Hong Kong
This web site is best viewed at screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels or higher. And be viewed through Internet Explorer 11+, Mozilla Firefox® 59+, Safari 10+, Chrome 64+or higher version.

Share to

Use Scan QR Code in WeChat and click to share.
Copy the link and open WeChat to share.