Tourism & Hospitality
With a local population of 7.5 million and 86 million from the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA), Hong Kong’s food services and trading companies have a large customer base. 95 percent of food is imported and the free trade port makes it easy for restaurants to source new and unique ingredients. Locals eat out and order online delivery frequently with the city boasting one restaurant for every 470 people. More recently, Hong Kong diners have become more concerned about food sustainability, traceability and quality, paving the way for ethical eating.
The following areas offer an abundance of opportunities:
- Food Trading – A free port combined with the ease of setting up a company with minimal capital investment makes Hong Kong ideal for trading.
- Food Services – The culinary capital of Asia with 201 Michelin star restaurants (2022) offering a wide variety of cuisines and styles across all price ranges.
- FoodTech – Food sustainability and healthy food, combined with the digital new normal of eCommerce and cloud kitchens give ample opportunities in R&D and technology application.
- Personal Services – As a regional trendsetter, an increasing amount of tailored services are now available ranging from fitness programmes, gyms, yoga studios to other lifestyle services.
- Hotel and Travel – World class infrastructure await visitors to come back while the city is also a great platform to set up an agency serving both inbound and outbound travellers.
- MICE – Some of the largest trade shows in Asia take place in Hong Kong, making it the perfect place for exhibitors and buyers to meet. A hybrid version of virtual and physical events will be burgeoning.